Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Potato Soup - YUMMY!

My family LOVES potato soup. We can't get enough of it. Last year i figured out that instead of using real potatoes I would use the potato flakes and cut time and cost (I hate the peeling of the potatoes part) I had no problem getting the right consistency but I could not ever get the soup to have any real flavor. So I woke up Saturday morning with potato soup on the brain , It has been cool hear and I felt like it was great whether for soup. So I was going over and over in my head how to step up the flavor and here is what I came up with

1/2 onion diced
7-10 red potatoes cubed
mashed potato flakes (any brand)
butter (about a stick)
milk
water

melt 1/2 stick of butter in large sauce pan (you want to do it all in one pan to make it as flavorful as possible. Add onion and stir well. Saute the onion until it is transparent. Once onion is cooked at cubed potatoes and still well. Coat potatoes with butter (you many need to add a little more) Cook and stir, cook and stir until potatoes begin to soften just a bit. Add water to just over the potatoes. Bring potatoes to a boil. Cover the pot but remember to keep an eye that they don't stick and that the water doesn't boil down. Once potatoes are tender (how tender is a personal preference) then add more water and milk. I added 4 cups water and filled the rest of the pot with milk. Bring to boil and begin adding potato flakes to desired consistency. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes and serve garnished with bacon, cheese and sour cream. It was so yummy. It will become a regular dish I am sure.

I know this recipe lacks all things technical and I am sorry. I am very much a pinch of this and a dash of that kind of chef. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment here and I will get back to you as quickly as possible

1 comments:

Miranda said...

MMMMM...thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it...will let you know how it turns out.